What Paperwork Do I Want to Sell My House?

A home sale requires a large amount of paperwork. The vendor is responsible for providing and completing specific types of documentation when purchasing a home. A homeowner who fails to fill out or furnish the necessary legal paperwork may shed a purchaser or face legal actions following the sale is finished.


The wide range of paperwork needed to sell your home serves different functions. The deed, or instrument used to show your legal ownership of a home, contains the home description. A real estate description would be that the measurements of your house described in words; a backup is necessary for legal documents utilized in the sale process, like a sales contract. Proof that liens and invoices because of the home are compensated or present is required for a home sale, and also documentation of outstanding liens on the home must be provided to the parties involved. A general disclosure of the house’s condition is called for in most areas.


Property tax receipts function as evidence that the taxes on the home were compensated. Receipts for charges, to get garbage collection or like a fee to use the public sewer, are required for to market a home. A statement of your utility account for water service ought to be obtained from the company. A financial disclosure statement, which lists all the liens on your home, notifies the parties concerned concerning the obligations currently connected to the property. The payment history from the homeowner’s insurance policy can be required for the sale. An overall disclosure statement will record all specific restrictions, problems or obligations with your own home, such as a rental agreement with a present tenant.


Documentation of outstanding liens, like mortgage obligations, allows the actual estate lawyer or professionals required to organize a last payoff of the lien at the time of the home’s sale. Receipts for tax bills prove the liens were compensated, and also the new homeowner won’t cause the charges. The present status of water accounts and specific assessments allows you to determine what portions of the monthly bill the purchaser is liable for at the time of sale. The disclosure to the purchaser prevents you from being sued later about a problem that existed like a leaky roof, at the time of sale.


Financial disclosures allow you to settle all owed trades on the house by the time of sale, avoiding the possibility of a lawsuit from a purchaser or lender afterwards on. Presenting tax receipts proves you paid the property tax bills in full and aren’t responsible for new charges. Evidence of homeowner’s insurance may allow your buyer to obtain a new policy more easily and stop your own deal from stalling. Special assessments and water bills can be prorated, meaning you are only accountable for the portion of the bill for the sale for the days you’re still the proprietor. Providing copies of present bills ensures you won’t pay for services you did not use.


You don’t need to have your initial deed to sell the home. A backup can be obtained from the county recorder’s office where the property is located for a fee, such as $5. The certified copy may service as the official deed for your home in a sale. A file of your initial mortgage loan records can be obtained from the county recorder’s office to the financial disclosure, so in the event that you’ve misplaced the original records, a legal backup is readily available for the lawyer to see. You can obtain a certified copy of the loan records from the county recorder’s office if you are not using a lawyer.

See related